On your WP Admin you’ll find a notification about the new version, please navigate to : Appearance -> Themes. Then you can update the theme automatically by just clicking the update link. Don’t worry about the warning from WordPress, since you won’t lose your data if you do automatic update, just click update. But in case you didn’t see the update notification on your WP Admin so you can’t do automatic update, then you can update WP theme manually. Please follow thsese steps below.
Please use one of the following methods to do manual update/install:
Method 1: Via WP Admin
- On your WP Admin, go to: Appearance -> Themes. Firstly, You need to deactivate the theme you want to update.
- Delete the theme you want to update.
- Install the theme: Appearance -> Themes -> Install Themes, select “Upload”. Choose the theme ZIP file and click Install Now.
- Activate the theme.
- You are done.
NOTE: If you face this issue “The uploaded file exceeds the upload_max_filesize directive in php.ini”, you need to increase file size limit on PHP.ini setting. Usually it happens when you upload a file over 2 MB. Please ask your hosting provider to increase file size limit. Alternatively please update the theme via FTP or Cpanel File Manager.
Method 2: Via FTP
- Extract the theme on your local hard drive.
- Connect to your FTP
- Upload the extracted theme to: wp-content/themes/. Just replace existing files and folders.
- You are done.
Those 2 methods are the same way when you want to upload/install a new WP theme.